Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Method to My Insanity

Sometimes, when you're me, you have to do certain things that others may think a little crazy.

I do these things to make myself laugh, often when I don't feel like being happy. I don't always get like this, but I have felt this way so often that I now have developed a habit of being a little crazy for the sake of being a lot crazy.

Today is a great example of this...

I had dressed Evelyn and prepared her for daycare when the following conversation ensued, all from me. Take note that I gave Evelyn's part of the conversation a high pitched British accent - perhaps to make her a somewhat watered down version of Stewie from Family Guy, you know, for comedy's sake.

Me: Well, Daddy needs to get up and make some lunch and get ready to go.

Evelyn: But Daddy, I don't want you to go.

Me: I have to. I gotta go to work and take you to daycare.

Evelyn: I don't to go to daycare, I want to stay home with you and mummy.

Me: Mommy's at work but she'll be by Miss Tyse's to pick you up.

Evelyn: Miss Tyse seems nice when you guys are there but I'm pretty sure she cuts me while I sleep.

Me: Evelyn! That's a very odd accusation. Plus, I've never seen cuts on your arms from this.

Evelyn: Okay, you got me there. Please stay home?

Me: I gotta work, little girl. Sorry. It's how we pay the bills when we're grown ups.

Actual Evelyn: buh huh huh.

Me: I know, I'm weird.


And so ended the wonderful one-sided episode with me and my multiple personalities. Evelyn smiled the whole time, enjoying the odd little exchange.

Little things like this, you'd be surprised, keep your sanity intact. Try it if you don't believe me, but not in public. Never where other people can see you. Never.

This lesson I have learned.