Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Dad Show Don't Stop.

Since Wednesday night I've felt a little under the weather. That is to say, a lot under the weather. Now, I've felt a little sick, I've had headaches, or just been exhausted since we've had Evie, but this is the first time I was really just not up to par.

The first time I'd really been sick, I guess, since being a dad.

And I quickly learned something - my daughter doesn't give a flying turtle's behind how great I feel.

Here I was, knocking on death's door (a slight over-statement) and my daughter still had the audacity to pee in her diaper, want food, and yes, even the rudeness of wanting to be held after I distinctly laid her down in her pack-and-play to take a nap.

It's just her self-centeredness coming out. I'm sure this is a trait she picked up from me, but I thought I developed it at a much later age. It's actually quite unnerving that she's showing signs of it this early in life.

Either way, the last few days I wasn't just a dad. I was a sick dad limping through my illness while trying to keep a five month old happy. If you've never done this, you have no idea how brutally difficult it is.

So don't judge me for being somewhat irritated.

One thing was made clear about parenthood this week. The "Dad Show" doesn't stop just because of a fever and a runny nose. You're still a dad even when you don't feel like being one.

Well, you know, if you're aiming to be a good dad, I guess.