Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Talking to Feet

Everyone has a cute story about their baby. I learned this quickly because, while some parents will smile while you share a cute story, a poop story, a story where your child says inappropriate things (thank God this hasn't happened, but we know its coming) in front of people, others will often share their own stories. Some parents are not content to simply share a story, either, some must "one-up" your story.

Maybe I'll blog about the different types of parents we've met so far sometime, but then again, what category would I put myself in?

Maybe I won't.

Anyway, today's blog is not about parents. It's a cute story about my daughter I felt the need to share with the entire world due to its powerful cuteness.

That's right. Powerful cuteness.

I work nights, so from the time we both wake up until I take her to our daycare at twelve-thirty, Monday through Wednesday, I am watching, feeding, talking to, or changing my daughter. Notice I said, "from the time we both wake up?" Yeah. Sometimes, it takes me a while to get out of bed. I've not woke up before her yet...

Well, one morning I woke up and fed Evelyn her breakfast. Then, I took her to her crib, and laid her down thinking, "While I am getting ready for work, she can go back to sleep."

Oh the hopes and dreams of dads...

Yet, she was somewhat quiet when I got into and out of the shower. I didn't hear her crying while I brushed my teeth or dressed for my evening's tasks. I even went downstairs to check my email and this is when I thought I heard something.

I walked upstairs and heard her talking.

No, it wasn't some intelligent conversation about the current state of our government. It wasn't a deep theological discussion concerning the actual time frame of Christ's return in relation to the Great Tribulation. It wasn't even a few small words about how Big Bird doesn't look the same now as he did twenty years ago (Did they just clean him up? What is it with that thing?).

It was small "coos," "ahhs," "hewaaahs" and the like. But when I walked in, it was who she was talking to that made me chuckle.

Evie had grabbed her feet, folded herself in half, and had been talking to her toes. Just talking away as if her feet were talking back.

Again, I have no clue as to what she was saying. I'm sure it went something like this, "Okay, here's the plan. I'm going to start teething soon and I need you guys to help me out. When my dad holds me one night to try and get me to be quiet - I don't know Phil [That's probably what she's named her left big toe] these big people do that when I cry - anyway, when he holds me to get quiet, I'm going to kick and squirm and try to get him to drop me. Why? Oh I don't know Darryl [her right big toe], maybe because then I can roll myself over and over and on to freedom? I'm still their captive and have been since the day I escaped..."

But then I walked in on her and interrupted her conversation, by saying in my softest daddy voice, "WHO ARE YOU TALKING TO?" and I laughed and smiled, but Evelyn stiffened herself like a board and had this look on her face that screamed, "Nobody. Nothin'. You didn't see anything!"

It was cute. She completely had a guilty look on her face. I swear if she was a Jedi she'd be trying to do the mind trick on me with a wave of her hand and a "You didn't see anything."

I laughed and picked her up, and she just smiled that, "Oh, you got me" smile.

It was a great day.