Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cute is Overrated

My daughter is cute. Beyond cute, she's adorable. Her smile melts your heart and quiets a room. I'm not just saying this because I'm biased, its a fact. She's a cute kid.

Unfortunately, cuteness is overrated. She thinks she can flash her big blue eyes and get away with anything. People always say, "Oh, she's got you wrapped around her little finger."

Wrong.

That stuff doesn't work on me. At. All.

True, I feel horrible if she starts crying and it melts my heart, but it doesn't get her a "get out of jail free" card.

I think I've built up an immunity to it. Maybe its something else. Perhaps anti-cuteness is my superpower. What a lame mutant ability...

The point is, I love my daughter with an unending, furious love, but when she tries to weasel her way into my food with a big blue-eyed stare, or a cute little smile so she can mess with the Playstation controller while I watch a movie, she doesn't get away with much.

Now, when she grows older and gets a whiny voice...