Sunday, June 12, 2011

Got to Update

I figured it was time to write something.

Even if its only a few paragraphs, I need to get back to documenting the fun we have as parents. Evie is growing and growing, and even though she's having to take physical therapy, she's getting closer to walking every day.

She pulls herself up to her feet, often having to lean against a chair or some other piece of furniture. She's walked/glided along the side of furniture, too. It will only be a few more blinks and soon she'll be running around making me want to pull my hair out by the roots.

Evelyn is awesome. Every Friday we try to have lunch together, and each Friday we sojourn to a restaurant is an adventure on its own. Whether she's eating a quesadilla from Taco Bell or a hamburger from McDonald's, the mess we both make and the strange interactions with other customers make each Friday worth it.

A couple of weeks ago a lady kept staring at us as though someone in our little caravan of two had somehow offended her. Then I realized, my daughter of just about fifteen months was looking at her, squinting and laughing. Evelyn was, in her own way, making fun of this woman. I wanted to stop her but after getting a good look at the lady, I thought, "Well, there's a lot of material for jokes there..." Then I realized where my train of thought had taken me, and re-positioned both myself, and Evelyn so there'd be no more staring.

She's also learned that when mom and dad say "no," we mean it. We mean it bad. Of course, nothing breaks my heart than seeing her pitiful little eyes start to tear up. Fortunately, my wife appears to draw strength from the tears of the infants.

Just kidding... it really shatters her inside, too. Somewhere. Somewhere deep inside the darkest corner of her heart, I'm sure she feels bad.

Somewhere.

Seriously, she laughs.