Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Don't Blink

There's a Doctor Who episode where, these monsters pose as statues of weeping angels, and when the lights go out or if you blink while you are near them, they move in for the kill. They appear as harmless statues, but then attack viciously.

I was thinking this morning that being a parent is kind of like facing such a villain. You find out you're pregnant, and with a turn of your back, you're holding your newborn. You close your eyes, and she's growing out of her diapers. You turn off the lights to say goodnight, only to find you're waking your daughter up for her first day of school in the morning. You drop them off for Kindergarten, and by the time you get back to the school, you realize you're dropping her off again at a college dorm.

Time is the one thing I'm realizing more and more, attacks your ability to parent. My dad often tells me of his regrets as a father, and wishing he could go back, but unless he steals the Doctor's TARDIS, he'll never get those years back. Trying my best to learn from his failures, I make every moment I have with my kids count - or at least I try to. I work late hours, weekends, not because I want to but because its the job I have. I hope she understands that, someday, I may have missed a few things because I had to, not because I wanted to.


Leave it to me to find a parenting analogy in Doctor Who.