Thursday, June 28, 2012

Facebook Bragging on Your Kids Is Not Annoying

One thing I've read a lot of recently on Twitter and Facebook, are the comments of people who don't have kids (and at least have stated that they have no wish to have kids) saying that they wish people would stop posting pictures and videos of their kids.

To that I respond, "Okay, will you stop posting pictures of your food?"

Here's the thing. You have something you care about, you talk about it. Unless you're mute, have no arms, or don't have access to one of those Stephen Hawking chairs, you talk. You communicate about things that matter to you.

People may complain that their Christian friends (myself included) post at on of Scripture verses. I'll quote a Christian athlete on that topic:

"If you're married, and you have a wife, and you really love your wife, is it good enough to only say to your wife 'I love her' the day you get married? Or should you tell her every single day when you wake up and every opportunity?

"And that's how I feel about my relationship with Jesus Christ is that it is the most important thing in my life. So any time I get an opportunity to tell him that I love him or given an opportunity to shout him out on national TV, I'm gonna take that opportunity. And so I look at it as a relationship that I have with him that I want to give him the honor and glory anytime I have the opportunity. And then right after I give him the honor and glory, I always try to give my teammates the honor and glory.

"And that's how it works because Christ comes first in my life, and then my family, and then my teammates."*

Roll your eyes if you want because I just quoted Tim Tebow. The man has a point. Now, I'm not comparing my love for my kid to my love for Christ, those are a little different. But the point is, you're going to talk about what matters to you. Parents shouldn't feel like they can't talk about their kids because other people don't like it. If you don't like it, don't follow their twitter account and unfriend them from Facebook.

With that said, I understand there are people who want kids and are unable to have them and that's a sensitive topic. If that were the case, then hey, I'd try to be sensitive to that, but at the same time, I'm still going to post things my kid does and pictures of her acting funny. I still have family who follow/friend me and want to see the pictures or hear the stories.

I do have a few Facebook friends who only post about their kids, but hey, maybe that's all they have going on in their life - their kids are the only highlight of their day. And yeah, sometimes it gets on my nerves to see that, but I do it, too. Or maybe they'll one up a story of my kid's with a story of their kid. Hey, I get that, too. Maybe they aren't trying to one-up, or be rude, I just took it that way.

So delete those comments and go on with your day.

I'm done now.



*Tim Tebow on ESPN's First Take