Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It is Always Gas


The amount of wisdom you gain from conversations with other parents is often worth its weight in gold. Sure, sometimes you hear ridiculous stuff but you quickly become skilled in "chewing the meat and spitting out the bones."

One such conversation occurred a few days ago, after Evie had spent a solid half hour screaming at the top of her lungs only to suddenly stop, finishing with what we now refer to as an "old man burp."

I was telling a coworker about it and simply said, "So I guess it was just gas."

He replied, "Trust me, it is always gas."

To my complete shock (and horror) this made perfect sense in the context of our discussion, and was laughable out of the context. But a few days later as my wife was worried something was wrong with our daughter as she wailed and screamed, I was much more calm and just burped her.

The belch she released was absolutely disgusting, so much so the men of my college dorm would have been impressed.

"That's my girl," I thought.

So, if your baby is crying and you don't know why? It may just be gas.