Tuesday, February 7, 2012

When Did That Happen?

I've written before about the importance of cherishing the moments I have with my kid while she's little because I realize she'll grow up too fast. This morning I got smacked in the face with how true this is.

I had fixed Evie some breakfast, and since she was really helpful this morning, I turned on "Sid the Science Kid," a PBS show she really seems to enjoy. I don't know if you've ever seen it, but take all the annoying voices in the world and pack them into an elementary level science class, and you have a basic idea of what we're dealing with here.

Evelyn sat quietly watching her show and munching on her breakfast while I read some news. When the Science Kid made his way off the t.v. another show came on. An educational program that annoys me more than Sid the Science Brat... uhm... kid. Characters whose actions and voices grind on your spine worse than any Barney episode. The new bane of parents has a name and it is Word World.

I'm kidding, I actually don't mind that show. As long as that Duck character doesn't make an appearance. Seriously, if I still had an orange pixelled dog and my old Nintendo Zapper, that character would be toast (If you've never played the old Nintendo game "Duck Hunt" you're just not going to get that).

Anyway, the theme to Word World came on and I hear Evie's small red chair flip over, small stomps across the living room floor behind me, and a small voice exclaim "WAD WOOD!!!"

It made me laugh but then I realized, holy cow, she's talking a lot better. And not just talking, recognizing words, too. She will, if you ask, will point to her ears and say "eahs," her eyes and say "aish," and her mouth and say "mow." Even if you ask where her hands are she'll stick out her little mitts and wiggle her fingers, naming them "hans." Sure, its not perfect English, but its a lot more than she was doing around Christmas time.

Her progress in the past month alone makes me hopeful we won't have to go through any speech therapy. Most of the credit probably goes to my mother-in-law for taking a whole week while she was here and working with her on words and letters. Since Kaye visited, it seems Evie has really taken off on her enunciating.

But that wasn't the end of the day for me. No. She returned to her seat and finished cleaning out her bowl, then picked it up and walked to the sink, only to rest it on the edge of the counter. She put it right where we normally sit our dirty dishes after a meal.

When did that happen? Who taught her that?

Mind. Blown.

Its safe to say she's growing up even faster than I had anticipated.

Its almost scary.