Thursday, February 2, 2012

Favorites #3: Its Meant To Be Humorous.

I love this blog because it is a constant reminder that not everything I write on here has to be taken incredibly serious. I don't always have to think deeply and come out with something prophetic, or semi-intelligent. Sometimes I can just have fun blogging.

You may not have enjoyed looking over the past few blogs, and I promise this will be the last of the Favorites for a while, but I've really enjoyed looking back through past blogs and digging out some of my personal favorites. Its also been nice having a small break. Hopefully this will keep me writing throughout 2012.

Yes, I am being dramatic. It's meant to be humorous.

The "Baby Crazies" continue, but I think I'm starting to make the most of them. After last week's post (the very night of the post, actually) Evelyn decided to show that she is not just a baby, she is a force of nature. A force to be reckoned with. Not just a baby, a villain. A horrible villain the likes of which Cobra Commander, Lex Luthor, and Skeletor have never seen.

And she did it with a smile.

That's how the sick, twisted minds of babies work. I realize that now. Babies, as I am now discovering, know that their parents are naive. They know we are gullible morons who believe they only want some milk and a diaper changed now and then.

I now that we are! We are those gullible morons. You may be reading this and saying to yourself, "I wasn't a gullible moron with my kids," but you're only believing that because they want you to believe it.

You must understand their cries are not the whimpers of infants. They are the battle shouts of a warriors in a never ending coup d'état on parenthood.

This is the past few nights have gone:

On Friday night, Evie (now known as "Evelyn the Skull Crusher" by her biker gang) decided to feign sleep from 10:30 pm to 12:30 am. No doubt using this time to plot her next great scheme. Without warning, just like an earthquake, she awoke with a fury so deep and bitter it was almost beautiful in all its glory.

My wife, who had sustained many injuries throughout the day from this tiny barbarian was too weak to continue in the struggle. So I grabbed my weapons and entered the fray. I remember looking her in the eyes, after at least two attempts to feed her from a bottle and muttering something to the effect of, "You may win this battle, but I shalt not die in vain!" An evil smirk twisted across Evelyn the Skull Crusher's face as she filled her diaper with a foul mustard colored stench.

I'll never forget the horror I experience upon opening that diaper. Never.

Every time I close my eyes I still see it's disgusting composition looking back at me as though it, too, were alive. It has been burned into my mind forever.

At the time, I tried my best to use it to strengthen my resolve.

I grabbed the formula I had already tried to feed her twice and with the resistance of a spy who was determined not to succumb to a truth serum, Evie fought back as she guzzled it down. To distract her, I had turned on the television to watch an episode of Smallville I had recorded earlier in the night.

Before the theme song and opening credits rolled, Evelyn, the great villain, the bane of parents within our home had fallen asleep.

I was victorious.

Yes, I realize I am being dramatic. It's all meant to be humorous. Because if there's one thing I have learned about being elbow deep in poopy diapers and sleep deprived, its that if you cant laugh about it you will go crazy.

But I have enjoyed it all, even more than I enjoyed turning that little adventure into some sort of fantasy story.

What really happened was Jen went to bed because she was tired and I volunteered to stay up with Evie. She cooed and "talked" for almost an hour before I finally got her to take her bottle.

I wasn't going to dare to wake up Jen, because a) I want to prove to the world and myself that I can do this fatherhood thing and do it well and b) because my poor wife has been sleep deprived since we got home from the hospital.

Finally Evelyn drank her bottle and yes, I was just starting to enjoy Smallville (which is almost an oxymoron at this point, that show is really dragging on....) and I took her to her bassinet and she slept for a solid 3 or 4 hours. Which was nice.

See? The dramatic version is so much more exciting.

I wouldn't trade the real experience for all the gold in Middle-Earth and Narnia combined.