Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Evil of Snow Days

You remember when you were a kid and it snowed about a tenth of an inch? You'd spend the first fifteen minutes of your morning hoping beyond all hope that the radio, t.v., or website you got your news from would come across with a bulletin exclaiming there was no school. Of course, most of the time, it was only a tenth of an inch and you had to go to school and now had fifteen minutes less to get ready.

But when the news came that classes were cancelled...

Free vacation. No homework due, no annoying bus drivers threatening you, and you could spend all day in your pajamas watching t.v. It was one of those things from our childhood we take for granted as adults.

I'm older now, with a kid of my own (hence the name of the blog), and have a whole different outlook on snow days. Granted, my kid is a few years away from having to ride the big yellow chariot to the village of the learned, but as the white flakes fell from the heavens today, it clicked within my head that snow days are possibly a nightmare for parents.

See, I would still have to go to work. As would my wife. Grown-ups rarely get snow days. Which now makes me think how evil the teachers, school boards, principals, whoever it is who makes such decisions are. How divided the hearts of parents must be. On one hand, my kid's excited she won't have to go to class and she has a few more hours of sleep. On the other, I can't spend all day in my pajamas like she can, I've got to scramble to find a sitter and get myself ready to go toil in the salt mines. Or, whatever it is I do at work all day.

It has occurred to me that in preparation for snow days, we are going to have to find a back up to our back up, should something like that happen. You know, a bullpen of baby sitters.

Being a parent hasn't matured me, its only made me see how incredibly contorted my view of life was when I was a child. Snow days are absolute evil, stress inducing holidays obviously created to destroy the happiness of parents.

Obviously.