Monday, April 2, 2012

Things come in twos.

Last week I didn't blog. So sue me.

My wife's parents were in town and I worked early and just insert a few other excuses as to why I didn't feel like writing. Yeah, that'll work.

Some news from last week, though, includes Evelyn's second birthday actually happening. After months of anticipation, we assume she only could turn two years old on the day she made her exit from the confines of my wife's inerds.

We had a small get together two Sundays ago. My wife baked a beautiful cupcake shaped birthday cake. It tasted delicious, and even had a hard chocolate casing - where you'd normally have a piece of paper that tears the cupcake in half. It looked pretty sweet. Were a giant walking through the birthday party, he'd have thought it was a quite eloquent cupcake. Were a hobbit walking through, he'd think ... who cares. It tasted great, looked kind of cool, and a good time was had by all.

I'm done with analogies for now. At least those consisting of mythological, Tolkien-esque humanoids.

Moving on.

This kid got a haul of presents! We bought her a few things, but some friends from Jen's work got her a Mr. Potato-Head (Something I never had, so when Evie's not looking I make that sucker look like a Picasso faced spud and laugh maniacally while "three-year-old-me" sits and sulks), some clothes, toys that make noise - thanks for that, by the way. Someone also got her a small broom set because we got sick of her taking ours.

Seriously, she likes to sweep the floor. There will be sanity tests when she's old enough...

By the way I am horrible at remembering who gave what so I hope nobody gets offended. We're very thankful for all the gifts so if I don't mention her playing with something you may have gotten her, then I apologize. If you didn't send some present to my spawn to celebrate her second Name Day then a plague shall descend upon your house. Hey, its not me, that's just how it works, buddy.

Also, the whole "Name Day" reference is from a book series that if you haven't read - you'll be in the dark. So just pretend I said "birthday" and move on.

We've officially finished our second week of speech therapy.

We're not sure what to think about this so far. Our therapist, Kim, seems pretty nice. Jen's not liking the whole, "Sign Language to Word" association. I should say, she's not warmed up to it yet. Coincidentally, neither is Evie. She really only uses it during the therapy sessions then tells us stuff later. Her vocabulary is growing exponentially. I honestly don't think the speech therapy will last as long as the physical therapy did.

Mostly because the physical therapy was aided by ankle braces, but there's nothing even slightly wrong with her mind - other than the whole sweeping of floors thing - so I am assuming that once she gets in the swing of things, she'll be a bonafide wordsmith and more than likely launch her own blog soon after.

You won't want to read it. It'll mostly be about Cookie Monster, why he should really be named "Ron," and the adventures of those who wear pampers in the land of those who can reach the top shelf.

Could you imagine the Pinterest page on that?