Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Back on the Wagon

I lost about 30 pounds this year. I would probably have lost more if I were to have kept up with the running after I finished the Warrior Dash. So now I'm getting back on that bandwagon of runners so I can continue in my pursuit of better health.

Well, isn't the weather too bad, blustery, and downright cold to be running?

You forget that I started running in February this year, when our winter was at its coldest. I hate running in intense heat. I ran around the White River Canal here in Indianapolis over the summer, and I'd swear I sweat a whole person out of me by the time I was done.

Its not that I don't like sweating, I just don't like the heat that makes me sweat. Especially when there's no wind. Man, I just don't like that at all.

Call it laziness if you like, but it is what it is. I don't like running in extreme heat. I'd rather be jogging when the thermometer says its closer to freezing than having a heat stroke. Call me crazy, too, its literally less sweat off my back.

The motivation to get back at it came when I was realizing my daughter is getting heavier and I was getting more winded than I had been just carrying her up the stairs. I hadn't gained all my weight back or anything, but I clearly had gotten more out of shape than I had been in the spring or even later in this past summer.

It will surely be another struggle, but that's fine. Anything worth having is worth working for.