Friday, April 30, 2010

And the Angels Were Silent

I robbed the title from a Max Lucado book. I hope he doesn't mind.

If you've been reading the blog for the past few weeks you know the greatest struggle we've had as parents is getting some sleep while the sun is down. Since Neil and Kaye (Jen's parents) have been in town, they've helped out wonderfully and it has allowed whoever has the "night shift" - guess who that lucky guy is - the opportunity to sleep until noon.

A few nights ago I was able to get her to sleep by rocking her in our new chair, but every time she'd fall asleep she'd wake up just as soon as I made my escape into my own bed. After several futile attempts, I threw her 20 feet to make sure the sleep stuck. When she didn't wake up after crashing to the ground, I knew my job was done.

Okay, I didn't throw her. I did talk loud enough to try and wake her up, though, and even whispered, "We're not buying you your first car," to try and shock her from her slumber. Nothing phased her and I was able to put her to bed for the evening.

And this has been a typical evening.

Until last night. She slept for a full six hours. Now getting her on a good schedule so she's not starting that six hours at seven o'clock and ending at one am is going to be tricky.

But the fact remains: She slept a full six hours in a row.

And even the Angels were silent.