Tuesday, April 27, 2010

iGoop

This past week we had to call a doctor. Evelyn's right eye had become swollen and had some goop, gunk, junk, eye-boogers, whatever you choose to call it, she had a bunch of it in there. Not just your typical "sleep sand" eye goop, either. This was some serious yuck.

Plus she's been extra fussy the past few days, so we thought maybe she was getting sick. I called our doctor's office and when I finally got through a few machines (I am really, really not a fan of automated answering services by the way - big pet peeve) I got to talk to a very insensitive man who stated that the doctors and nurses were on their lunch break and that unless it was an emergency, I'd have to call back later.

If it was an emergency, I was to stop pestering him and dial 911.

I know it may sound horrible of me, but I kind of - in that moment and not since - hoped that I walked up on that guy after he got hit by a train so I could tell him, "Well, do you think this is an emergency? You do? Okay, I'm going to let you be so you can call 911."

Anyway, we had been cleaning Evie's eye with a wet cotton ball to keep the gunk out, and this turned out to be a great idea (I believe it was my mother-in-law's suggestion, but I'm not sure so we'll just give her credit) because this is what the doctor's office said we should do - after they got done with their trip to Wendy's for lunch. They also said its probably allergies and not to worry.

No, I don't know for sure they went to Wendy's, but I like to assume that doctors enjoy a Wendy's double cheeseburger as much as I do. Thus, in my mind, making those burgers seem healthier because, hey, doctors eat them so they can't be all that bad, right?

The next day her swelling went down and now she has hardly any eye goop (like the title?).

It's not like we were panicking about it, but the eyes are pretty important to people and wanted to make sure our daughter hadn't gotten some infection that will leave her blind.

"Oh, really? Eyes are important? I didn't know that."

Well, okay, smarty-pants. But you've got to keep in mind I write this blog on a handful of hours of sleep at best some days so give me a break when I say something obvious like that.

On a side note, my father-in-law, Neil, flew back to North Dakota on Saturday. It sounds like our friends and family there have been asking a lot of questions and wanting to see pictures. He seems to have really enjoyed his time here in Indianapolis, so that's good, too.

Kaye, my mother-in-law, will be here until Saturday. So we still have some backup when the baby crying gets so much we want to throw ourselves out a window.

Yep. Been a busy week.

Now, just to be clear, I probably wouldn't act that way if I saw that man hit by a train.

Probably.

... maybe.