Tuesday, May 15, 2012

We Cut the Cord

We recently got rid of cable. We kept the internet, bought a Roku player, and now get our television broadcast over the "interwebs" (as they are sometimes called by people who want to sound hip - I am not above doing this).

We have Netflix and Hulu+, and even with those two monthly subscriptions and our internet bill, we're still saving almost eighty dollars a month. Actually, our bill was being raised next month, so if we counted that, we are actually saving around a hundred dollars a month by simply getting our t.v. shows one day later. Which is nice.

Saving money is fun.

Plus, I kind of feel like we won. I know that's silly, because its not a competition, but in a sense we're keeping the shows we want and still getting them from Comcast, but at half the cost because we're getting it through the internet and not through cable. Its like we outsmarted them or something.

I'm sure if someone from Comcast were to read this they'd have a nice chuckle at my supposed cleverness. Or cry because I actually read that cable companies are losing money at a hefty rate because of deals like the Roku player and Apple TV.

Either way, the day we figured out we could do this, I grinned like the Grinch when he had an evil idea to steal Christmas.

I know, some people want their kids to watch Nickelodeon all day, and I'm okay with them doing this. Because guess what we get?

Fraggle Rock. Sesame Street. Veggie Tales. Yo Gabba Gabba. Vintage G.I. Joe. Voltron. Uhm... I mean... you know, cartoons Evie would enjoy, like Veggie Tales.

Heh.

So we cut the Cable cord. We're doing okay with it, no mental break downs, panic attacks, or withdrawals from the Housewives of the Rich People's Trailer Park or whatever they were called.