Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What a Weekend

Ever notice how when you finally get around to washing your car, that's when it rains? Seriously, I've washed my car twice since we got it and each time, within a few hours, it rained.

That has nothing to do with today's blog, its just something that's really irritating me. Thought I'd get it off my chest.

Also, that's how the weekend ended. With a car wash and my daughter having a panic attack. More on that in a moment.

Friday night we went to our first Minor League, Triple-A baseball game since moving to Indy. It was the Indianapolis Indians vs. the Louisville Bats. It was a pretty entertaining game, but the real entertainment was watching Evelyn go make friends.

There was a nice couple beside us who let her play with their kids dolls while we tried to watch the game. Well, I say "we" but I mean "me." Jen was busy trying to keep track of Evie and carry on a conversation with Julie (one of the other bailiffs in my wife's court) and watch the game and talk to me... you know, the many tasks of a mom and all that.

We have to remember to bring her a doll next time.

Saturday I worked, so nothing really great to report there, except the heat was ridiculous. Jen took Evie to the pool and when I came home I crashed on the couch with about a gallon of water to drink.

Sunday I left work a little early because of race traffic. If you've never lived on the West side of Indianapolis, you won't understand, but that side of town gets locked down come time for the Indy 500 (which was Sunday) or the Brickyard.

I hate racing, have I ever said that? What a waste of gas. Ping-pong matches are just as entertaining to me.

Monday is where the real excitement was. We got up early and headed down to the laundromat. Yeah, we washed clothes.

Exciting!

Afterwards, we came home and Evie and I napped while Jen went to the pool for some much needed rest and relaxation away from a two year old. We had a quick lunch and then went to wash the car. This is where the meltdown happened.

Apparently, when my daughter is really not enjoying something, she believes she can finish it faster by saying, "All done."

Sometimes she says this very sweetly as she brings me her now empty glass of milk. Sometimes she says this after deciding she's not eating her corn. On Monday, she said this quietly as we were entering the car wash. Then proceeded to scream it.

Repeatedly.

I felt horrible. Here I am just trying to get the bird crap off of my car and my daughter believes we are being devoured by a giant soap monster.

ALL DONE! ALL DONE! ALL DONE! ALL DONE!

Nope, just a few more minutes. Daddy's right here, though.

She looks at me as though I've tricked her into a death trap. What sort of man are you, dad? How could you do this? All said in a glance.

ALL DONE! ALLDONE ALLDONE ALLDONE!!! Then we were done and she relaxed.

And it rained last night.