Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I know I have said this quite a bit recently, but the countdown is on.

Evelyn is due on April 6th and that is less than a month away. She may come earlier, she may come later - even though Jennifer is saying April 6th is her "Deadline" instead of due date.

So that means everything from here on out must feel rushed. At least, it feels like everything from here on out is being rushed. Either way, things are starting to get a little stressful.

For instance, we had a baby shower a few weeks ago at the church, and I still haven't addressed the envelopes and sent them out, even though Jen has had them done for the past week. I blame it on my bad penmanship, though. Do you want to open an envelope that looks like a third grader scribbled your home address on it?

I didn't think so.

I imagine the scene to be something like this:

Wife: "Honey, we got an envelope and I think it's from Jeff and Jen."

Husband: "Oh! Here it is. Wait, have they had the kid already?"

Wife: "I don't think so. Why?"

Husband: "Because I think the baby is the one who wrote our address on the envelope."

Wife: "Oh that's cute!"

It's a little bit embarrassing.

Overall, though, about everything else is done. Well, the other loose end to tie up is finding a day care, but I think we have it pretty well nailed down. Unless we decide to take her to a daycare ran out of someone's home.

To be honest, this thought bothers me and it doesn't at the same time. My friend Tim's mom ran a very good daycare out of her home and I would trust that woman with my children gladly. Unfortunately, she lives in Le Mars, Iowa and we are about 14 hours away from there. Don't see myself driving there and back before work.

The part that bothers me, though, is that I don't know who these people are or who they let into their house. We've had kids at my job whose parents worked in daycare, and I've read some of their case reports. I don't want my kids subjected to that type of thing, and I feel kind of rude asking if it would be okay if I run their name and the name of every person they know through our system.

Hopefully, we'll find a good day care and be satisfied with it.

But is anybody ever satisfied with letting someone else watch their baby?