Friday, March 5, 2010

A Tour of the Maternity Ward

Last night we participated in our third "Baby Birthing Class."

I should start out by stating, because I am not sure if I have made this crystal clear, I do not enjoy these classes. I am under the impression that I am not the only man in the room who feels this way. In fact, many of the husbands have the expression pasted upon their face that says, "I'm here because if I didn't suffer through these classes, I'll suffer because I didn't when she gets home."

You would think that this would cause many of us guys to become quick friends. I have found that a common hatred of one thing or person can mutate into a strong male bond. After all, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." This can become almost as strong as any friendship born out of the common love for one particular thing.

However, this had not been the case until last night. Many of the men in the room often look at each other as though we are all from separate planets. Not just me, either, though I could understand that when I show up in my Old Navy jeans and superhero hoodie, and they are in their khakis from whatever store and *Ralph Lauren polos; they may tend to think me different.

I don't blame them. Personally, I'd rather they didn't talk to me. I don't want to hear about their yachts and golf score anymore than they'd like to discuss theology or who would win in a footrace between The Flash and Superman - with the Flash being Wally West and not Barry Allen.

*sigh*

But last night as we walked the halls of the hospital, it seemed many of the other guys started becoming more social. Maybe they were starting to realize they weren't suffering alone. I don't know. Either way, we finally all started laughing about some things, and actually talking.

It may have helped that I didn't wear my hoodie...

Anyway, last night we got a tour of the maternity ward and got to see where Jennifer will be staying the two days after the birth. It was nice and cozy.

Unfortunately, while my wife and I are used to nights at the Holiday Inn (or something less) while travelling, it became apparent that our classmates were not as impressed with the room.

"Did you see the size of that t.v.?"

To be fair, the television wasn't much bigger than the 19" television I had in my dorm, but as my wife pointed out, "What do you expect? A 56" Sony Plasma?"

Whatever. It's a hospital, not the Hilton.

It looks pleasant and after meeting several of the staff and getting to peruse the surroundings my daughter will be born into, I feel very much excited.

We actually got to see a couple of boys who were recently born being cleaned up and having their diapers changed while we toured. It really made the whole thing just seem that much more.

In one month, I'll probably be standing there watching some stranger change Evelyn's diaper. Hey, can you blame me? She'll be doing it for free, I'll have to do it for the next year or so!

Overall, it was a good tour.


*I pronounce it RALPH LAURen. Not Ralph LauREN. Maybe I'm too cheap to pronounce it right...