Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pre-baby Stress

One thing is for sure. In just a few weeks we'll be having a baby.

In truth, we're about as ready as anybody can get. At least, I think we are. With one exception - we were not prepared for the pre-baby stress.

Let me explain. Our baby is due in April. So are our taxes, and we'll most likely have to pay. No big deal, right? We've been there before and everything turned out fine. Except now we have the upcoming hospital bill, daycare bills, last minute things we'll inevitably need, so on and so forth.

It's hitting me, but I tuck it away as best and as quietly as I can and escape into a book or a video game, or reading about some latest gadget or phone I find interesting on the internet. Unfortunately, I think it is really starting to eat away at my wife.

Now, with all the cards on the table, we're fine. We're going to come out on top. It's just the stress of squeaking through everything that is wearing us down.

But squeaking through is never fun and seldom easy. We'll do it - we've done it countless times before. But the stress is beginning to wear us both down, I think.

Then we have the whole preparation of getting things together before she arrives. Cleaning the house extra nice, making sure the dog doesn't get neglected, baby-proofing the ceiling and all of this nonsense. I knew having a baby was stressful, but I didn't know being about to have a baby was this stressful.

I think the one that keeps us going is when, like today, we head to the doctor's office and get to hear a little heartbeat and ... It's like motivation to keep going forward. To not give up or go crazy. I mean, she's coming whether we're ready or not, but our attitude when she arrives will definitely impact how excited we are.

Don't get me wrong! I'm still looking forward to it. To everything. In fact, as I was saying, when I hear the heartbeat on Thursdays it's like the rest of the world melts away and all I can hear is the future pidder-padder of little feet. I'm very excited to be a dad, but, understandably, I get stressed out a little, too.

No matter what, that baby isn't going to care about how much money is in our checking account. She's going to want food and her diaper changed and to sleep and to feel loved.

I'm pretty sure we're going to handle those just fine.